We love the idea of Renaissance people, masters of multiple artistic disciplines! That being said, we don’t like the idea of a combo “hair and makeup” person.
It’s very rare for a single person to have extensive training in both hair and makeup. What you’re actually getting with such a “combo” person may be a cosmetologist with a certificate in makeup. A makeup artist, on the other hand, has a full degree course in makeup – not just a few crash courses or a single certificate.
There are simply too many techniques and areas of expertise in hair styling. The same goes for makeup. There is no substitute for an artist with a singular focus on either hair or makeup – not both –who has extensive, formal training or an apprenticeship, and then years of experience honing their expertise.
Different Areas of Expertise
High-end hair, for example, is different than camera-ready hair. Camera-ready makeup is different than basic beauty makeup. Knowing these differences is important when there’s a professional production at stake, or when standards are super-high, like a wedding.
Each area has a specific toolkit and specialized knowledge.
- Degree course in makeup
- Expertise may include beauty and basic makeup, corrective makeup, print & fashion makeup, theatrical makeup, character and special effects makeup, airbrush makeup, and high-definition makeup
- Tools include professional makeup kits, industry-accepted brushes, palettes, and cosmetics
- License in cosmetology with a specialization in Hair cut, color, and styling
- Expertise may include corrective color, creative color, hair cut, and hair design
- Tools include professional shears and industry-accepted tools for drying, curling, coloring, perming, or styling hair
Special skills include staying up-to-date on new techniques, trends, and fashions.
A M3 Makeup Artist on the Set of an Orlando Production
That’s not to say hair and wardrobe get ignored! Keeping flyaways in check, as well as set-up and wardrobe correction, including lint control, are often part of our duties. We take it all in stride. It’s all a regular part of creating the perfect look on a shoot.