Wedding Secrets: Don’t Forget a Makeup Artist!
One of the most difficult things to do as a bride (or even a wedding planner) is to find the best possible vendor for each facet of your wedding. You have to think about budget, vendor availability, talent, professionalism, reputation, and even how well you get along with each vendor. It’s a lot of homework! And in all facets of the wedding you have to make hundreds of individual choices on what you can and can’t live with on your wedding day. If you have a budget, as most of us do, then a big part of the job is making sacrifices. Do you reduce the amount of flowers so you can get a bigger cake? Go with the embroidered white table and seat covers or upgrade to the gold trim?? Decisions decisions, you get the picture.
And speaking of pictures, there is one facet of your wedding that should never be sacrificed. Hire the most talented photographer you can afford and don’t let that money go to waste! Every photographer will tell you the same thing—get the best makeup artists and stylists you can find. The cost of even the best makeup artists is a small portion of any wedding budget and the result is worth its weight in diamonds. If you want to look your best, in person AND in pictures, hire only experienced professional makeup artists that meet these requirements:
- Extensive formal beauty training (at least 100 hours of schooling or more)
- Years of experience in fashion, print, and wedding makeup for high definition cameras.
- Exceptional portfolio pictures with close-ups of brides faces so you can see the makeup under the most important conditions (and make sure they are pictures of the artist’s actual work and not stock photos).
- Responsiveness! Even the busiest makeup artists should respond to you within 1 day on every phone call and email.
- Communication is key! A good makeup artist will communicate very effectively with you and relieve stress, not create it. You should get a good feeling via email, over the phone, and in-person at the trial if you have one.
You get what you pay for. Hiring a cheap makeup artist is worse than not hiring one at all. Depending on the location and size of your bridal party, talented and professional makeup artists rates and prices will range from $150 for a bride-only to $1000 and up for a large party (hint: get your party to pay for their own makeup/hair if you’re on a tight budget). Don’t cut corners with your face!
A common issue we run into on our weddings are bridal party members that are skeptical of our skill because they’ve been burned in the past or simply don’t think anyone can do their makeup better then they can. After we finish with the bride we often get bombarded with last-minute requests for hair and makeup. If time permits, we’re always happy to accommodate! If you want to experience the difference, give us a call and set up a very inexpensive trial beauty session. Call 321-250-4700 today.